I don’t understand why stuffed mushrooms are not more popular. They should be a staple appetizer option at every restaurant. I must admit, my husband and I only ordered them for the first time because a waitress recommended them. But from that very first bite, we fell in love. We have been working to find an easy stuffed mushroom duplicate ever since. Your New Favorite Stuffed Mushrooms (Vegetarian) will have your taste buds dancing around the kitchen.
I’ve made these for my husband dozens of times, but I’ve been waiting months to try these bad-boys out on guests. So when my in-laws were finally able to visit (hi Bill and Barbara), I knew exactly what I would be serving them. This is the perfect recipe because they taste like I spent hours in the kitchen, but they are so easy to make. Just like I was hoping – they were a huge success. My in-laws loved them!
Stuffed mushrooms are most famous as a delicious appetizer or side dish. But we love them so much that we eat them as a main course. Just include a side salad to make sure you are still getting some greens, and you are set!Jump to Recipe
What Makes This Recipe So Special?
Hoping to eat less meat? Then this recipe is perfect for you! These vegetarian and easy stuffed mushrooms are delicious and satisfying. You won’t think twice about missing meat. (Sorry vegans, this one is not for you).
Ok folks, this is embarrassing to admit. I’ve been a vegetarian for many years, but I had no idea that Parmesan cheese contains animal rennet, AKA an enzyme in the lining of a goat or calf’s stomach. I am heartbroken about this. I’ll let the lovely people at Buzzfeed try to soften the blow (apparently this was news to people in 2017. I live under a rock). Many vegetarian stuffed mushroom recipes use parmesan cheese. But I can confidently say that no Parmesan cheese was injured in the making of these mushrooms. These are truly vegetarian.
Mushrooms are good for you! A lot of commercially grown mushrooms do not have vitamin D. Apparently mushrooms are just like people and we can all only synthesize vitamin D when exposed to ultraviolet light. So make sure you buy mushrooms that are treated with ultraviolet light. Healthline can explain more.
These mushrooms are are so easy to make. Stuffed mushrooms taste so yummy that I always assume they take hours of chopping and preparing. But these delicious stuffed mushrooms are so fast and easy to put together. A bit of chopping, minimal heating on the stove, the mixer can do all the work of stirring, then your filling is ready and you can start stuffing! The topping is probably the trickiest part, but it is also one of the tastiest so I do not recommend skipping it.
A Few Notes About Your New Favorite Stuffed Mushrooms (Vegetarian)
- I recommend using a mixer on low speed when combining the cream cheese bowl. I’ve also tried mixing it by hand, but it’s a tough stir due to the cream cheese.
- Experts recommend wiping mushrooms clean or else it can effect the texture. I am bad about this. I usually rinse mushrooms in a little bit of water and then pat them dry. It feels more effective and I’ve never noticed a problem with texture.
- Make sure your mushrooms are not touching when you put them in the oven. If they are touching, they will get gummy spots.
- A big thank you to Veggie Desserts – their recipe helped inspire my mushrooms. Make sure to check her version out too.
- These easy stuffed mushrooms make an excellent appetizer or side dish with our Healthy Alfredo Sauce with Cottage Cheese and Squash.
- I store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. But I usually eat them well before they get to that point.
Happy Cooking – Meu
These stuffed mushrooms were SOOO GOOD! I made them for dinner (along with a salad, like Meu recommended) and my husband and I devoured them. They were great for a weeknight dinner but would also be great for a dinner party. I had to stop myself from eating the filling by the spoonful, it was so tasty. Although, I did have a little bit of filling leftover (our mushrooms were small), so I used it as a dip! I loved cooking the mushrooms with balsamic as well! Thank you for the great recipe!
Using the extra filling as a dip is such a great idea! We are so happy you enjoyed them!