Whenever pasta is for dinner, I always hope Alfredo sauce is involved. I’m fascinated by people who go to Italian restaurants and order marinara sauce. Alfredo sauce is so much tastier. How could you do this to your taste buds?! I’m pretty sure people only order marinara sauce when they are trying to be healthy. But have no fears, this Healthy Alfredo Sauce with Cottage Cheese and Yellow Squash is here!
This healthy Alfredo sauce is easy to make and even easier to eat (isn’t everything?). Did you know most Alfredo sauce recipes call for a serving size of ¼ cup? Who follows that?! I like my noodles swimming in the stuff! That is why I love this Healthy Alfredo Sauce with Cottage Cheese and Yellow Squash. I can pack on the extra sauce servings without feeling all the guilt of extra calories.
Listen to that little voice that is telling you to eat more vegetables…we hide yellow squash (sometimes called summer squash) inside! Yellow squash is low in calories and fat and full of vitamins and carbohydrates to give you extra energy. Don’t take my word for it, learn more at: https://www.livestrong.com/article/349229-the-nutritional-value-of-yellow-squash/Jump to Recipe
Yes, I did just scoff at the idea of ¼ cup serving size for Alfredo sauce. That said, for comparison purposes, I do list the serving size of my recipe as ¼ cup. Hopefully you (and your pants) will feel a bit better when you toss on a bit more.
Store bought Alfredo sauce is usually high in calories, fat, and sodium. When checking the total fat of a couple different brands (they will remain nameless), I see 4 grams, 8 grams, and a whopping 14 grams per serving. My healthy Alfredo sauce boasts a whooping .9 grams…that is less than 1. The closest contender has 4 times the about of fat per serving (please note, the nutrition calculations are based on low fat, 2% milk fat cottage cheese).
Now let’s compare calories. Store bought brands offer 45 calories, 60 calories, and 190 calories per serving (this does not factor in the noodles or that delicious garlic bread, aka, pasta’s best friend). This Healthy Alfredo Sauce with Cottage Cheese and Yellow Squash only has 39 calories per serving.
Last but not least…sodium. Store bought brands have 360mg (15% daily value), 410mg (17% daily value), and 540mg (23% daily value). My healthy Alfredo sauce only has 272mg sodium (12% daily value) per serving.
A Few Notes about this Healthy Alfredo Sauce with Cottage Cheese and Squash
- This yummy recipe was inspired by Wellness Mama’s 15 minute Cottage Cheese Alfredo Sauce; check her recipe out too: https://wellnessmama.com/357675/alfredo-sauce/
- Blending is the trick to this recipe. Blend your yellow squash, cottage cheese, and milk until it is a nice, smooth consistency.
- If you use a green zucchini, your sauce will be a beautiful, soft green color.
- Do not cook your summer squash before blending. No need for the extra work!
- I played around with using plain greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese, but I couldn’t get rid of 100% of that sour tart taste. Cottage cheese is much yummier.
- I used soy milk when preparing, but you can use the milk of your choice. Just make sure you stir well while heating.
- Don’t over heat – it tends to become a bit runny if you heat too long.
- I always recommend adding extra veggies on pasta. We prefer mushrooms and broccoli, but this sauce will taste delicious with whichever vegetables you prefer.
- Looking for a delicious dessert? Try Lu’s Fall Favorite Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies: http://ifyougiveagirlanoven.com/oatmeal-pumpkin-chocolate-chip-cookies/ Pumpkin should be eaten year-round!
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories39
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat .9g 2%
- Saturated Fat .4g 2%
- Sodium 272mg 12%
- Potassium 2mg 1%
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1g 2%
- Dietary Fiber .4g 2%
- Sugars 1.2g
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 1%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Your style is so unique compared to other folks I have read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this site.
Everything is very open with a precise description of the challenges. It was truly informative. Your website is useful. Thank you for sharing!